The Chronicles of Foxton
The Demorian Civil Rights Code
Section 1: Police Conduct
“Justice and Safety for All”
1. Police officers may not take sentient life, except in self defense, and then only if no other means are available to protect the safety and welfare of the officer or another sentient being.
2. Unnecessary violence in the apprehension of a suspected criminal is prohibited. Violence may be employed only if no other means are available.
3. Protection of an innocent person takes precedence over the apprehension of a suspected or known criminal.
4. Police officers may not detain a person not officially charged with a crime for any length of time, and may not prohibit a person from undertaking normal activities unless the person is officially charged with a crime.
5. The interrogation of a person not officially charged with a crime is prohibited, unless that person consents to being questioned.
6. Police officers do not have the power of search and seizure, except as regards the property and person of deceased victims of crimes, or when an officer is searching for or confiscating evidence to be used in the prosecution of officially charged subjects.
7. Police officers may not employ detection magics or other forms of divination except on a person who has been officially charged with a crime, and then only in the presence of a magister.
8. It is illegal for an officer to officially charge a person with a crime without specific knowledge or possession of unimpeachable, substantial evidence or the voluntary confession of the person in question.
9. Police officers are expected to respond to all calls as quickly as possible, and are to render aid to persons whenever needed.
10. Police officers may not pursue a suspect past the boundaries of their jurisdiction, but may use any method (magical or otherwise) to capture said suspect, as long as no damage to the suspect, bystanders, or property is done.
11. Any police officer who breaks the laws of Demoria will be subject to prosecution, and will be removed from the Draconian police force.